Between March 24th and 26th, 1913, the Great Miami River flooded the Dayton area, causing massive damage and loss of life. Water levels reached up to twenty feet in downtown neighborhoods. The University of Dayton—then known as St. Mary’s College—was located on higher ground and was not impacted by the flood waters. The Marianist Brothers were instrumental in the rescue efforts, and housed refugees from the flood in the dormitories and other campus buildings. Their efforts helped forge a stronger relationship between the school and the city.
This collection includes photographs of the flood waters and damage, as well as picture postcards showing scenes of the flood. The collection also includes a ledger listing the names and other information about Daytonians who sought refuge on campus, and the Exponent was a student publication reporting on the flood.